Monday, January 21, 2008

what is a cumulative graphic organizer?

In my response to John's comment in my last post, where he asked what I was referring to as the "cumulative graphic organizer" I used to help set students up for their viewing of the courtroom sequence of TKAM, I provided the following explanation:

I start with a visual of courtroom as seen from the judge's perspective, showing the desk for the lawyer for the accused on the right, the desk for the lawyer for the state (or the plaintiff) on the left, and the balcony above (transparency #1)

I overlay this with simple stick figures by the desks and up in the balcony: the lawyer for the accused (AF) by the right side desk, the lawyer for the state (Mr G) by the left side desk , and, up in the balcony, Scout and Jem Finch and Dill Harris. I color code these stick figures: half red and half black for Atticus, half green and half black for Mr G, all green for Scout and Jem, and half green and half red for Dill (transparency #2).

I next overlay simple stick figures for Tom Robinson (red and black) behind the desk to the right, and Mayella Ewell and Bob Ewell (red and black) by the desk to the left (transparency #3).

I finally overlay a transparency showing a throng of stick figures in green on the ground floor and a smaller throng of stick figures in red up in the balcony.

I then have a final overlay that explains that the color coding refers to the following:

green = Maycomb's "insider" population, largely white

red = Maycomb's "outsider" population, largely black (but notice the exceptions)

black= the accused,his accusers, and their lawyers

What this cumulative graphic organizer helps to do is set students up to view the courtroom scene from the film, not only situating the main characters in relation to the "geography" of the courtroom but also anticipating something of the roles they will play in relation to one another.

I hope this is helpful to others who might have had a similar question to John's.

No comments: